1. From which materials is the Opsilon Handpan made?
The metal used for an Opsilon is 1 mm sheet metal, nitrated under very exact parameters. The instrument is covered with a layer of ceramic to protect the surface from oxidation and erosion. A specific metal glue is used to keep the two half-shells together.
2. Who manufactures the Opsilon Handpan?
The main part of the production process of an Opsilon consists of handcrafting by its creator Rafael Sotomayor. Each instrument is hand-hammered into tune. The minor part of the production process includes different mechanical forming techniques such as hydroforming, deep-drawing, and spinning. During the process of nitrating the instrument, it can occur, that there will be some marks on the instrument not influencing the quality. But the removal of these marks can damage the instrument.
3. In which country is the Opsilon made?
The Opsilon Handpan is made in Germany.
4. How can I order an Opsilon?
Just visit our Online Shop and place the order there if you are sure what you want or if you do not want to wait and the instruments in stock suit your needs, or send an e-mail with the topic “order Opsilon” to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please tell us your preferred scale, naming all the notes. Add your address if you choose shipping. After your order was accepted, you’ll receive a confirmation e-mail and your order will be on our waiting list. We’ll try everything to finish your instrument in less than 5 weeks. Because of the high demand of D minor tuned Opsilons, we constantly produce this scale – therefore the waiting period for a D Minor tuned Opsilon is only 3-4 weeks. For any special scale we need a downpayment of 200€, As soon as your instrument is ready, we will contact you and start shipping after we received the full payment.
5. How much does an Opsilon cost?
The current cost per instrument (ding plus 8 notes) is 1.850,00 € including a Handpan Care Set consisting of a 100ml bottle of the “TurtleCare” liquid and a microfibre cloth. A fitting Hardcase, the TurtleCase is 210 € extra. The Hardcase is mandatory for orders which include shipping.
Price list for shipping:
- Worldwide 150,00 €
- Europe 100,00 €
- Germany 80,00 €
6. Why is there a waiting list for an Opsilon?
Our instrument is in permanent development. We spent a lot of time and money into research to optimize our production processes and to create a more stable instrument that stays longer in tune. Furthermore, one may keep in mind that this instrument is mainly handcrafted and hand-hammered into tune by a single person. The production of a high-quality instrument like the Opsilon Handpan is a creative and thus time-consuming process. We thank all our customers for their patience and consideration!
7. What size/thickness has an Opsilon Handpan?
The Opsilon Handpan is 53 cm in diameter and 25-30 cm in depth. It has a standard thickness of 1 mm.
8. Can I ask for any scale on my Opsilon?
Tell us your preferred scale in your order request so we can tell you if there is a possibility to create it. A wide range of scales is available for the Opsilon Handpan:
- deepest note: F2
- highest note: F6
Choose your favorite scale within that range or create your own! Some scale examples can be found on our channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5O3cVKau3UyPT4ZuyRsGBA
9. Is a Hardcase for transporting the Opsilon available?
Optionally you can order a fitting TurtleCare Hardcase for your Opsilon for an additional cost of 210 €. In case your Opsilon must be shipped, the order of a hard case is mandatory due to possible damages during the shipping.
10. Can the Opsilon be safely shipped?
So far, we did not experience any problems with the shipping of our products thanks to the safe transportation of it in a fitting hard case. Please tell us any damages of your Opsilon on delivery so that a fair and transparent reclamation can be processed.
11. Can an Opsilon be repaired if it gets damaged?
A careful treatment of your Opsilon is mandatory. In case your Opsilon got damaged, a reparation is possible depending on the level of damage. A minor retuning is possible and free of charge. Costs for reparation of more severe damages must be discussed individually beforehand.
12. Why we grant you a warranty?
We trust in our instruments, so we give you (starting 01.10.2019) a five-year warranty on all instruments. This includes a five-year tuning warranty. This tuning warranty is limited to a once per year tuning of your Opsilon instrument. As said before, a careful treatment of your Opsilon is mandatory. Rust is not included in our warranty, as you can prevent any rust if you take care of the instrument and especially if you follow our care recommendations.
13. Do you offer a retuning service for Opsilon?
Each Opsilon includes a one-time returning service free of charge. Additional retunings will be charged with a fee of 150 € per tuning.
14. How do I take care of my Opsilon?
- Do not leave it exposed to the sun for long periods of time. Heat can have a negative effect on the instrument’s tension, thus, affecting the tuning. If it has been exposed to the sun just wait until it cools down before playing.
- Clean your Opsilon Handpan every time you finished playing it. Use a dedicated microfiber cloth (included in the “TurtleCare” Set) to wipe out the accumulation of oils, dirt, and acids coming from your palms and fingers off of your instrument.
- Do not expose it over long periods of time to humid and salty environments. It doesn’t mean that you can’t take your Opsilon to the beach. It’s lovely and we know it, but salty humidity is a natural enemy of all Handpans, especially during dusk and dawn when humidity is particularly high. You should always wipe your instrument clean after a session at the beach, keep the bag closed so it won’t get damp with salty humidity and store it immediately afterwards.
- Store your Opsilon Handpan in a dry case. Never store your Handpan wet in a case or dry in a wet case. Sometimes it rains and things get wet, and sometimes the next dry shelter is hours away. Don’t panic! Just grab your Handpan and go back to your tent, hotel, hostel, Airbnb, mansion, cave, … take it out, wipe it clean and let the case dry before you use it again.
- If you know you will be traveling through a high humidity place than you might consider getting a moisture eater. There a different product created extra for Handpans on the market.
- Using oils and anti-corrosion sprays (e.g. Gun coating, WD-40, kitchen oil…) are all good to protect your instrument. However all oils are taking away the overtones. That’s why Rafael developed the extra Handpan care “TurtleCare” with a chemist – it’s no oil but an emulsion that completely protects your instrument while not absorbing the sound.
A rag that you will use only for this purpose
A perfectly clean cloth
Microfiber cloth (will make your Opsilon less oily and shiny)
- Tap a few drops of oil on the rag and proceed to distribute it evenly on the entire surface. Now take the clean cloth and wipe it to get an extra shiny oil seal that covers the entire playing surface uniformly. If you want, use the microfiber cloth to remove any extra residue.